Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Starting Over

Wisdom Wednesday Header



It's Wisdom Wednesday! Join us (check out Michelle's blog at as4me.net
for instructions or click on the icon )as we seek to apply God's Word to our lives and encourage one another!

This morning Ella Grace was in tears beyond belief and I found myself on the edge of frustration. I know God is at work becuase He prompted me to stop and pray and take action rather than re-acting. I stopped to ponder her motives. At first they were out of anger, so I dealt with that issue promptly. I realized the motives were not the same throughout this whole episode. The other motive was becuase she wanted attention, so I sent her to her room for a bit to lay in her bed until she had a joyful spirit. Typically, she's in there for only a few minutes and she's ready to play or obey or whatever- and she really does have a change of heart. As she was in her bed, I asked the Lord for wisdom and a way to help her "start over" her day. Her sister and I prayed for her heart to soften and to be joyful again. Since she had stayed in her bed longer than usual, I thought she had gone to sleep. I went in and she immediately climbed on my lap. I just held her. I prayed for God's words.

Matthew 6:33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

We talked about how when we seek God's kingdom first in all things, it's easier to be joyful, to be kind, to share, etc. But when we seek our way, our kingdom ( this world and the things of it) we enjoy being selfish, unkind, angry. She recognized that she was seeking her own ways and not God's. I told her that I often do too and that Jesus is the only One Who will change us to WANT/DESIRE His ways. Then I sang Seek Ye First.. I know the Lord popped it into my heart at just the right moment. I couldn't believe I remembered all the words. Then I shared Lamentations 3:22-23:

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.


I told her that because of God's great love for her, she could "start over" her day. I am so thankful that I can do the same. It's been a joyful house ever since!

1 comment:

thetysonfamily said...

Kelly, I'm so blessed by your words and your life! I just finally discovered your blog. What a huge encouragement! :) Thank you, sister!!
<3, Lindsay :)