Monday, December 15, 2008

Gentle Instruction

God’s dealing with me on lots of things but lately it’s on being more gentle in my reactions, especially with my words towards my children when correcting them. These verses are getting my attention loud and clearly. I am writing fast because I want to post what I think God wants me to work on today.

Ephesians 4:29-31 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
Proverbs 21:23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.
James 3:10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

My answers should be done GENTLY as I am correcting them. 2 Timothy 2:26 (s)he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

My children do not know Christ. What a good reminder to be speaking words with the right attitude so that they will see Christ in me, my hope and glory- and desire to be saved! ( Although I know it is the Holy Spirit Who will do the work, but may I be God’s willing vessel.)

James 3: 13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom…. And in the right spirit! What’s the right spirit? Yep. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control.
I read this today in my bible study, “say the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, in the right spirit.” George Sciplone. Good words, huh?

Here’s the bottom line: I need to be walking in the spirit more, being more gentle, seeking more wisdom and as always, asking God to give me more humility.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what great scriptures. It's challenging to be consistently gentle in correcting our children, but you are right, God will supply all our needs in this area.

Faith said...

Powerful scriptures and word from the Lord. I know that you are doing such a great job in letting your children see Jesus in you.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment and for checking in on me. I've been a little discouraged lately and just been praying for the Lord to restore to me the joy of His salvation and to find my peace, hope and joy in Him alone, no matter what I'm facing. Some days are easier than others, but He gives me the strength to face each new day. Thank you SO much for your prayers!

Merry Christmas to you and your precious family!

Rachel Marie said...

Great post, Kelly. I haven't checked your blog in awhile, but I'm glad I did because gentleness is a quality I so want more of and I've been thinking of a lot recently too!! These verses you shared are wonderful reminders.