Thursday, August 7, 2008

What is my treasure?

9 All who make idols are nothing,
and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind;
they are ignorant, to their own shame.
10 Who shapes a god and casts an idol,
which can profit him nothing?

I realize that when I am not seeking God as I should, I treasure other things more than Him. What exactly am I treasuring? Is it the quiet nap times? Is it good conversation with Gabe? Is it when the kids obey; when I can take them in public and they are well behaved? Is it a letter/email from someone or spending time on the computer? Is it my children? Is it my possessions? Is it when my circumstances are how I think they should be? What am I putting value in more than anything else?

God is on the Throne and I allow other things to cloud or minimize that truth. While the kids are napping, I am asking Him to show me where I have fallen prey to idolatry in my life. I know that by looking at these things and meditating on them, I will be led in the ways of the Lord and with His eyes, not my own blind-sightedness.


18 "Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.

No comments: