Friday, August 15, 2008

Digging Deep for His Nuggets of Truth

Sometimes I read a passage and meditate on it without reading the whole counsel of God and what He says. Just the other day I read Hebrews 12:1-3 and immediately my heart focused on the verse I have highlighted which says “so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Verse 3) I know that is true but I also knew that I needed to dig deeper to see WHAT is it that makes me NOT grow weary and lose heart and HOW to move forward in strength and confidence in Him. I know my God and know His faithfulness and was so glad He urged me to keep digging for the nugget He wanted me to see and in turn be moved to action.

What I have missed are the commands before verse 3. There are certain things I must do before I am ABLE to not grow weary and loose heart. Understanding these Scriptures has encouraged me to press into Him for His help.

1. First I must "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles" (verse 1) Duh. No wonder I have been stuck in weariness! I am stuck in my sin of becoming quick to anger, being selfish because I can't do what I want, comparing myself to others for numerous reasons, being lazy/disobedient in the things I know I should be doing, and not putting my trust in God to name a few. It makes sense that I can get quickly frustrated with my children when they aren’t obeying when I am not either. (Oh, the things God teaches me through my children!)

2. Second, I must “run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Verse 1)The Lord has a plan for my life and I must willingly submit to HIs ways. Have I surrendered all to follow the race He has set for me? I know it's a daily challenge to live for Christ, but I CAN with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

3. Third, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith,"(Verse 2) Lately, my eyes have been on myself. I have been telling my kids to serve others rather than themselves, but I am not acting on this. My motivation has been self first, not self forgetfulness as Jesus taught. My trust has been based on my feelings which are not in the least- reliable, especially if I haven’t been seeking the Lord in each matter. My wisdom has been worldly and even what others say. Am I pleasing God or man? The answer is clear. My eyes need to be back on my Savior.

4. Fourth, "who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men," (verse 2, 3) Christ never gave up. He always had hope in God and His focus was and is His Father. He endured the cross for ME!!!!! My opposition and trials are nothing compared to HIs suffering. Am I allowing this verse to be THE greatest encouragement to me when I am weary and tempted to become discouraged?

5. Finally, "SO THAT you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Verse 3)

Such a treasure that comes from digging deep in His Word.

No comments: