Thursday, April 17, 2008

Honoring Daddy

Our girls LOVE their daddy. As soon as he walks in the door, I am chopped liver. :)They cling to him always. (Isnt that a picture of how we are to be of Our Heavenly Father?)I have been looking for ways to show them how we are to honor him. It's not just saying "I love you" or kissing and hugging. It's action. How our children talk, work, interact with others, the values that they hold and practice will show whether or not they honor us. It's something God tells them is important and that they must do.( and for us too, towards our own parents)

This morning I was able to put this to practice. Gabe was leaving for work and he came to kiss and hug us. He said good-bye to Miriam and I and then went to Ella Grace next. She was watching a movie and ignored his words. He reminded her that she had to look at him when he was talking to her and respond. I turned off the movie and we explained again that God says we must honor our daddy. That means putting him first, before her movie. Then we all walked him outside to his car and waited for him to leave. I told her that by walking outside to the car with him shows him that we love him and that we wanted to honor him.

When we came in I got my bible and we read the scripture Deuteronomy 5:16.
"Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

We prayed for daddy and today I plan on talking to them about more ways we can honor him and how their actions and words show how important he is to us.

No comments: