Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dissappointments

God used my daughter Ella Grace greatly in two instances to challenge my thinking and response biblically. We went to a gymnastics class yesterday and we got there realizing she was too young for it. (I had built it up and got her prepared for it since she had never gone before. She was really excited.) She was devastated when she couldn’t participate. Today, we were prepared to go to story time at the library and much to our dismay, it was not today. Another huge dissappointment. My first reaction both times was just to tell her not to be sad, that is was “ok.” But I knew that I needed to tell her God’s truth.
“Ella Grace, there is only one person who will never dissappoint us. Do you know Who it is?”
“God.”
“Yes, He will never fail us. There is only one thing that will never let us down when everything else will. It’s His love. We can hope in Him. He will make us happy when we are sad.”
“We can trust Him for everything- even when we don’t think it’s fair.”
“Do you think icecream will make you happy right now?”
“Yes!”
“Will it make you happy forever? ”
“No, mom.” ( Smiling)
“Who will?”
“Jesus.”
“Yes, Jesus never dissappoints us.”

This is the verse we have been memorizing. It was so appropriate to share. Romans 15:13
13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him

My friend Michelle posts topics on her blog every Wednesday called "Wisdom Wednesday." You will be encouraged greatly, and not just on Wednesdays! See them at http://www.as4me.net

3 comments:

Deidra said...

Kelly God has really gifted you with the ability to turn every little conversation back into Jesus. I am always so inspired by you. I feel like I never think of the good ideas until later. When I do come up with somthing good though I always surprise myself! That is how I know it is the Holy Spirit answering my prayer which is to give me the words and help me with what does not come very naturally to me.

Kelly said...

D- it's never natural to me. You got it.. it IS the power of His Spirit. Glad I am a work in progress.

Michelle said...

“Will it make you happy forever? ”
“No, mom.” ( Smiling)
“Who will?”
“Jesus.”

I love this exchange!

I've been meditating on Psalm 4:7:
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.

God gives satisfaction in knowing Him, far more than earthly things that give me pleasure... books, food, the mountains...

Thanks for your words of encouragement.