Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wisdom Wednesday

My friend Michelle has started something called Wisdom Wednesday. It's a great idea and neat to see how God gives us all wisdom differently, and for our very own unique situations and circumstances. Visit her site to read it and participate if you wish. http://www.as4me.net I will attempt to post my WISDOM WEDNESDAY here. Asking God for wisdom in a particular situation is something I eagerly want to do on a regular basis. It doesn’t come easy because I tend to want to solve the problem myself and forget to ask Him what He would have me do since He knows what is best for me.

I've been praying for wisdom in how to get Ella Grace (2 and a half) to obey quickly, right away and with no delay. She likes to tell us, "But first I want to...." or "I need to....." before she obeys. When I get distracted or just plain lazy, I let it slide and realize later that I am allowing a bad habit and allowing her to disobey. I know better. Delayed obedience is disobedience. I see it in my own life and in the things I know God wants me to do. (Get off the computer to help my husband or kids, stop an argument with the girls, or clean the bathrooms after having it on my list for two weeks.. you know how it goes. We just don't do it immediately)This is something I need to ask God for His wisdom on and help in because the end result is always frustration and even anger. So, I asked for it yesterday and again today and God has given me a verse that has been precious and what I know He wants me to teach my children.

Psalm 119: 60- I will hasten and not delay Your commands.
I found it interesting that the previous verses lead up to why we obey QUICKLY...
We do it becuase we love Our God!!!
v 57-59: You are my portion, O Lord; I have promised to obey Your words. I have sought Your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to Your statutes.

If HE is my portion totally and completely and not myself (Psalm 119:36 says “Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain”)then, naturally, my heart will want to obey what I know is true and obey Who I love. I mentioned these verses to Ella Grace today and we talked about how it's easy to be selfish-- and that Mommy acts selfish sometimes too, but if we love God we will WANT to obey Him RIGHT AWAY!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey, that's fantastic, Kelly. I'll share that with my children. I'm thankful that God is revealing Himself and His Word to you at this time. Hang in there!