Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Doing it is what counts

We had just talked about forgiveness and repenting. Turning, changing. We talked about reading the words but doing it is what counts.

I had spoken harshly to one of my children.  I knew I was wrong.

I went to her and told her I was sorry and I knew she forgave me. She said it and more than that, meant it.

But the heartache was still there. Just sitting. Growing, gnawing, I needed more.. I needed a pure heart.

So I went to my room and prayed. I didn't think my smallest one heard me, but she popped in and sweetly asked me,  "Mama, are you crying?"

I didn't answer. I figured she would walk out. She started rearranging things on my dresser, so I figured she would  let it go.

I went to the bathroom and washed my face and came out, puffy eyes.

"Mama, why were you crying?" She asked again. She really wanted an answer.

So I told her.

I told her about my interaction with her sister and how I needed to be clean in my heart and ask Jesus to forgive me.

"Oh, I get it! It's like before you ask Him, your heart is like dirty and stinky and messy then it's like white and shinny and sparkly after you ask Him to forgive you?"

Yes, just like that.

"Can I do it too?"

Doing it is what counts.