Friday, January 11, 2013

A little moment


A little moment in the chaos of my day.....

John 20:11-18

11 But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb, and as she wept she stooped to look into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and one at the feet. 13 They said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” 14 Having said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic,[b] “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”—and that he had said these things to her.

I read this Scripture to the girls this morning and was so drawn to a portion that has truly given me a new and fresh moment filled with grace from the Lord! I have read the story of the Resurrection many times and am always astounded at how the same power that caused Jesus to come alive is the same power He gives me in my days as a wife, Mom, daughter, sister, friend...so thankful for His Spirit and power that enables me to live as His child. 

However, today the part that gave me such encouragement were verses 14-16, 18.

When Mary looked at this man who was talking to her, she thought He was the gardener. She did not know it was Jesus. But when He spoke, it's as if she just melted. When He started talking to her, then she KNEW. She KNEW because she KNEW the voice of her Savior. She had spent time knowing Him and being with Him, hearing Him. She KNEW how He sounded and that His voice was the calm in her life she needed. She probably did not have nearly as many distractions in her world that I do that at times keep me from hearing the voice of her Savior? I'm guessing she was the kind of woman who lived Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." Oh, to be a woman who is still.. to always melt at the voice of her Savior, to savor each moment with a "I have seen the Lord" attitude!!!

Sometimes I just plain forget to be still and listen to the VOICE of my Savior. My cares are bigger. My plans seem better. My focus gets clouded and I am distracted.  I can read His word and look at the pages and close my Bible and walk away and not hear His voice in my soul. But when I am still and am looking for Him and to Him, I HEAR Him and RECOGNIZE Him.

And I melt. I stand in awe. I want more of Him. Nothing else matters.

I am so thankful He gives us eyes to see Him through faith, through His voice, through the stillness that He graciously longs to give.

He is ALIVE.  I have seen the Lord!

No comments: