Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thankful for Stretchy Skin

I've been pretty insecure about my body after having kids. I often feel "frumpy" and then find myself complaining about it. So, I decided awhile back that this needs to be taken to the Lord in prayer, not so much that I would "have my old body back" but that I would have Christ's perspective about this change. First, I decided to stop complaining about it and second I needed to work at it. I try to maintain some sort of excercise plan weekly. I've been encouraged- not by how I look, but by how I feel. I use this time to pray and try to recite scripture. It's a wonderful time to get refreshed.

Just as soon as I was feeling proud of my efforts, Ella Grace matter- of- factly said to me this morning while brushing her teeth and touching my stomach ( yes, the skin) while making a squinched- up -nose face.

"Mom, why does your tummy look so......."
"So, what?"
"So.... funny and feeling strange?"
"Oh, you mean stretchy?"
"Yea"
"Well, becuase you, Miriam and Susanna were inside there growing bigger and bigger every day making Mama's skin a little stretchy."
"Oh, I don't like it."

I wanted to tell her I didn't either, but I refrained and prayed I'd say something that pleased the Lord.

I answered: "I really like it alot. I'm grateful I have a tummy that looks kinda funny. I love it because everytime I look at it, I remember how wonderful the Lord is to have given me three beautiful little girls. It reminds me to think of Jesus and to be more thankful for you and for what He will do in your life."

"Oh. Thanks."

I was ticked that she told me "thanks." A sweet moment. I WAS thankful.

This conversation made me think of 1 Timothy 4:10 that I am pondering this morning... WE HAVE FIXED OUR HOPE ON THE LIVING GOD...

I wanted to fix my hope on my appearance, rather than God being glorified... yep, even in stretched out skin.

2 comments:

Josh Espinosa said...

Hey Kelly, I just read the I Tim verse this morning. Love it when God gives us little reminders of verses we've read having already forgot what I read this morning.

Unknown said...

Oh, Kelly! I know how you feel. It's funny, after reading your blogs and seeing your heart to please the Lord, I picture you like a supermodel, eventhough I've never seen a photo of you. Your love for Jesus made you beautiful even in my mind.
Here's to our stretchy mommy skin, and our hearts for Jesus!