Thursday, January 10, 2008

LOVE

The Word says:
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:9-12
14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Romans 12:14-16
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It's been a real challenge to teach sharing, kindness and gentleness lately. Some of my techniques are slowly dying out and I am at a lack of what to do next to "keep the peace" and see that my children really and truly are learning to love one another. I am noticing that Miriam is mimicking her sister- sometimes in a healthy way, but most of the time in a non healthy way. I've noticed both girls' frustration levels are extremely high and days like today, nothing is working. BUT, as God tells me- I must go to seek Him about it and ask Him for His wisdom in how to work through these issues with them. What do they need? How am I responding? I read the above verses that give the answer. I believe it's to teach love, and boy is this task!
I am thinking about certain instances and what the Word tells me to do. Here are some examples: I told Ella grace that if Miriam comes and pushes her then her reaction is not to push back, but to hug her or kiss her or tell her "I love you Miriam." To show her good, not evil. I need to practice this over and over because it's not sinking in yet. I've been telling Ella Grace to serve her sister by honoring Miriam above herself, like letting Miriam pick a snack first or a toy first. Again, it's not sinking in yet. I explained to them what harmony meant (we’ve been listening to a song about brothers living in harmony in the morning) and I've been asking EG if she is helping her sister to live "peacefully". But overall, it’s not working. What is working is that I've been faithful in prayer with them and continue praying when hearts do not want to change. Whether I see results in my children’s hearts or not, I must press on and pray faithfully KNOWING God is at work every step of the process. I haven’t given up, so this is how I can see God is changing me. I have such a long way to go in this area of love, but I know and trust my Lord is the only one who can do it.

No comments: